Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sunday Morning Thoughts

We have been working feverishly (doesn't look right, but I spell checked it!) on our garage this week so I have not posted as much as I've wanted to. The clean garage is kind of a christmas present to my bride from the rest of us.

I preached a bit on Cain's attitude this past Wednesday night. I'm not able to get him out of my mind and spirit yet and probably will go there for a thought or two today.
Cain wanted God's approval so badly. He put so much effort and hard work into his crop trying to please God. In the meantime, his brother Abel simply raised a lamb. Abel did not have to give birth to his sacrifice. He only had to take care of it and then at the right time present it to the Lord. Cain on the other hand, had to do everything.
When God had "respect" for Abel's offering, but not for Cain's, Cain lost it!
Mankind has from Adam and Eve, through Cain and until today tried to please God with the fruit and works of our own hands. God has already provided the WORK at Calvary. He simply wants us to OBEY.

I came across something that Thomas Jefferson once said that grabbed my attention, see if you like it.

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past. - Thomas Jefferson

3 comments:

Christy the poet said...

this is so true and i have never thought of the story of cain in that manner. it seems the harder we "work" trying to get everything just right, the more frusrating it is. I just want to live for God wholeheartedly. thank you for this post.

Anonymous said...

Pastor,
First of all I want to start out by saying I love this blog that you started! It is such an awesome site! But reguarding this comment imparticular, I totally know what you are saying, we always try so many ways to please God, when just simply giving back to Him what He provides for us is all He really wants. I know personally (and in this way I kind of take after my mom! ) I, so many times, want to just serve God in every way, even in the ways that God set up for others, but then I have to remind myself that we are the Body of Christ and a body cannot function with a shoulder working in place of a foot. :) God has given us each gifts and, just as I said before, we need to use what He has provided for us and not "create" a sacrifice on our own.

Stacey said...

Dearest brother,
Just wait....Nancy has just begun with the projects...hahaha. And I think I'm the one to blame. Very cool blogspot!
Love you so mucho!
Stacey D.