Saturday, December 29, 2007

Some thoughts on sin

I've been cramming this week, writing a thesis on the origin of sin. While I have no intention of going into details here on the blog, I did want to put something out there to think about.

We don't know when sin originally started. We do know WHERE sin originally started.

It started in the heart of Lucifer. Remember the prophet said, Isaiah 14:12-13 (KJV)
12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

My thought for the moment is that the original sin was not an action. We do not read about Lucifer smoking or doing drugs or anything like that. His sin was in his heart. It was in his heart that he took the LORD of Glory off of the throne of his heart and put himself in place.

Usually when we think of sin, we think about an immoral or otherwise ungodly action.

Ungodly actions are the result of sin. The sin is not exalting the Lord and keeping HIM as the supreme ruler in your life!
You could even say it like this, actions follow inaction. The man lies, because the Lord is not ruling his life. The woman cheats, because the Lord is not ruling her life. They kill because the Lord is not ruling in their lives.

There are a great many good people who pride themselves by not stealing, lying or committing some other spiritually egregious act. Yet while they pride themselves for their lack of bad behaviour, they fail to realize that it's what they are NOT doing that makes them a sinner.

They rule their lives, not the LORD.
They sit on the throne of their lives, not the LORD.

In reality, they do exactly what Lucifer did.

That's scary!

1 comment:

Christy the poet said...

thought provoking post...reminds me of the sin of self-sufficiency.

i wrote a new poem a couple of weeks ago because of a thought that popped into my head. your post brought it back to my remembrance. do you want to read it? well, i hope you said yes because here it is:

I just realized how long the poem is to post in your comment box. therefore, i will give you the link to read it on my xanga site...

http://weblog.xanga.com/christy_the_poet/632688314/the-tree-of-life.html

apparently, even the link is long. if you want to read through some of my others, you can just go to www.xanga.com/christy_the_poet